Monday, November 5, 2007

Christmas Goodies

Christmas time is always my favorite time of year. I love to make my own Christmas card, make Christmas crafts, paint ornaments and do all sorts of Christmas baking.
One of my favorite things to make at Christmas time is Buckys. Some people call them Buckeye Balls, some Peanut Butter Balls, but we have always called them Buckys! (even before it was my last name!)
I don't have a premeasured recipe, but here is what I do.
1 Cup Peanut Butter-creamy, preferrably, but crunchy is ok too
1 Stick Butter (optional, but I highly recommend it..adds to the creamy texture and flavor)
4 cups Powdered Sugar.

Put all indgredients into a mixing bowl.
(Roll up your sleeves and wash your hands, it gets messy here.)
Mix together until well blended (Yes, I use my hands to do this, no beaters, no spoon, just my fingers. Makes for easier clean up and besides, it is fun to lick my hands clean after I am done!)

Add more powdered sugar if mixture is too sticky to roll into balls. Keep adding until mixture is dry enough to roll into balls, but not falling apart.

Next, place a piece of wax paper over a cookie sheet. Start rolling peanut butter mixture into small balls. Place balls on wax paper and refrigerate 4 hours or more.

Melt 2 bags of Chocolate Chips. I use the Milk Chocolate, but you may prefer semi-sweet chocolate, or even chocolate almond bark. Any kind can be used, milk chocolate chips are just my favorite.

Immerse the cold peanut butter balls into the melted chocolate. Remove with a fork once completely covered in chocolate. To leave any peanut butter showing would just be a crime to all chocolate lovers out there.

Place chocolate covered ball back onto wax paper. Continue dipping balls to your hearts content! Refrigerate until chocolate has set up. Enjoy, share with friends, or do as I do...eat most of them yourself! (hence having to diet the rest of the year!)

You can make up the balls and freeze them in advance. Simply dip the frozen balls instead. It is much easier, but you may have to remelt the chocolate throughout the process.

These are truely my favorite holiday candy. I love to fill up a tin with these, cookies and a few other goodies and give them to neighbors and friends. I have found that my friends look forward to getting them every year too!
Just be aware of those with peanut allergies. It is a good idea to let people know ahead of time that they are peanut butter balls!
I will post more of my favorite Christmas Goody Recipes later!

I hope that you enjoy!
Shalon

No comments: